One of the best parts of a Disney vacation is enjoying all of the food you can’t get back home.
Whether that’s unique recipes or Mickey-shaped snacks, you may even make a wish list of snacks to have during your trip to ensure you don’t forget anything!
Beignets are a fried dough snack with a slightly crispy exterior and a pillowy-soft inside. Right after they come out of the fryer each beignet is dusted with a generous amount of powdered sugar. Traditionally they’re made in a rectangular shape, but of course Disney had to put their own spin on it, and thus the Mickey Beignet was born!
Besides the regular beignet, which has a similar flavor to funnel cake, Disney also releases seasonal flavors. We’ve seen Pumpkin Spice Beignets in the fall as well as more unique takes like the Maple Beignets with Maple-Bacon Dipping Sauce. These can be just as popular as the standard beignets, especially when they are a limited-time offering.
You might be thinking “but don’t they have beignets in Disney World? What makes these so special?” While it’s true you can find beignets in places like Scat Cat’s Club Cafe in the Port Orleans Resort — French Quarter, there’s something special about the ones over on the West Coast. Maybe it’s the fact that this is their birthplace, or maybe it’s the beautiful setting of New Orleans Square that makes them extra tasty!
In Disneyland you can currently find beignets at the Royal Street Veranda in New Orleans Square, and over in Downtown Disney at Jazz Kitchen Coastal Grill & Patio. Right now, the Mint Julep Bar which used to have beignets is closed as the attached French Market Restaurant is being re-themed to Tiana’s Palace. However, once the new restaurant re-opens you’ll be happy to know the Mint Julep Bar will return along with its signature drinks and fresh beignets!
Craving beignets but can’t make to the parks right now? This recipe shows you how to replicate the Disney snack, right down to the adorable Mickey ears!
This recipe will create about 10 large beignets or 2 dozen small beignets.
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar
- Sprinkle the yeast into a bowl full of warm water and stir to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour, and bowling water.
- Add in the yeast mixture to your large bowl.
- Use an electric mixer with a dough hook attachment to mix the dough on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to quarter-inch thickness. Use a Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter to cut your beignets, or cut into 2.5 to 3-inch squares.
- Cover the cut dough with a towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free area until it doubles in size. This should be about 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Fry the beignets until golden brown, turning as they brown on each side. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes each.
- Remove carefully with tongs and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Dust the warm beignets with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Beignets are just one reason to visit Disneyland. Right now the parks are celebrating the Walt Disney Company’s 100th Anniversary, which means special experiences you won’t see again. You can learn more about the anniversary here, and check out this video before planning your next trip!
Click HERE to Read About the Best Disneyland Snacks!
Want to Learn More About Disneyland?
Check Out the Links Below!
See Our DFB Disneyland Restaurants Guide
Learn About Disney Genie and How to Use it in Disneyland
Check Out What You Need to Know About the Theme Park Reservation System for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure
Get All the Info About Closures and Construction at Disneyland
Learn All About Disneyland Park
See What Marvelous Stuff You’ll Find at Avengers Campus in Disney California Adventure
Learn About Pixar Pier in Disney California Adventure
Get All the Details About the Disneyland Mobile App
Everything You Need to Know About Mobile Order in Disneyland
Learn More About Disneyland’s Magic Key Program
Full Details About the Holiday Season in Disneyland
Full Details About Halloween Time at Disneyland
Get Some STRANGE Tips for Disneyland
Should You Go to Disneyland in 2022?
Click HERE to Check Out Lots of Other DFB Posts About Disneyland
Join the DFB Newsletter To Get All the Latest Disney News Delivered Right to Your Inbox Click here to Subscribe
What’s your favorite snack in Disneyland? Comment your pick below!
The post The Ultimate Guide To Disneyland Beignets first appeared on the disney food blog.